It could mean any number of things:
- you are perceptive
- they realise that your read of them is inaccurate and are trying to lead you down a certain path (ulterior motive)
- you have managed to “get them” within a short time, whilst in their perception, most people do not understand them (the “soul mate” spark)
- they are trying to encourage you in your efforts to read people (but in reality, you might not be that good yet)
- they figure that you like to be good at reading people, so they are just manipulating for whatever reasons
- they are just throwing a curveball to see how you respond
- they are just being cynical as they really mean the opposite.
My key point is: to understand the words from someone, we need to understand that someone and the social context of the situation first.
Aren’t humans complex?!
Read my original response on Quora.